Managing your company’s human resources can be tricky.
Any HR professional could rattle off story after story of bizarre occurrences that called for discretion and challenged even the greatest problem-solving skills. But what happens when you, the leader of your organization or department, are tasked with tackling those awkward situations?
From complaints of a coworker’s body odor, to an employee who had a skin sloughing problem (yes that really did happen!), no one likes to be a part of those uncomfortable but necessary conversations. Nonetheless, as the saying goes, “It’s a tough job, but somebody has to do it”. Following are a few tips from our team of human resource consultants that will help when that somebody is you:
- Reiterate the person is a valued member of the team and you are approaching them out of concern.
- Be sensitive. Choose your words carefully and refrain from making judgments. Explain the conversation is confidential and make sure you keep it that way!
- Don’t beat around the bush. Get right to the point; dragging out the inevitable only heightens the tension.
- Offer your assistance (i.e. Would you like a referral to a dermatologist? What can I do to help?)
- Follow up after a short period to make sure the situation is resolved, and if not, discuss other alternatives / consequences.
For help with your tough employee relations issues or other human resource projects, contact one of our human resource consultants.
Submitted by Dawn Karrer, PHR; Human Resource Consultant, IntegrityHR, Inc.
- Human Resource Compliance: Only Good Looking Candidates Need Apply…
- Human Resources Compliance: When Customers Cross the Line